As a company who makes things, waste is inevitable.
What we can do, and what we are doing, is working hard to limit our impact by reducing, reusing and recycling. We work hard to keep our business as eco friendly as possible, and we think we're doing a pretty darn good job, although there is always room for improvement!
Here’s where we’re at now:
- We have just launched our newest innovation in packaging with our biodegradable pump bottles - currently available with Active Manuka, Active Clear, New Life and Timeless Beauty. We know that 87% of recyclable packaging will end up in landfill. These bottles will break down in landfill within 6-10 years with no residual micro plastics left for our children's children to deal with. The 13% that do go to be recycled will be made into new materials.
- The labels we use on our packaging is Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified meaning that all of the paper used in our labels is from responsible forests. Chain of custody certification is the mechanism used to ensure the traceability of wood material from a certified forest to any point along on the supply chain. You can learn more about it here.
- When we can't use biodegradable material, we choose high-integrity materials that are more readily recyclable. That includes aluminium, paper, glass, and plastics like PETE, HDPE and PP, with as much PCR as possible. Once our packaging has served its initial purpose, if we’ve made it easy to recycle, then we’ve made it easier for you to help us close the loop.
We’re working with local suppliers. In order to reduce our carbon footprint, we make every effort to work with local suppliers right here in New Zealand.. Our cardboard shippers and the product unit cartons are sourced and made in New Zealand. Not to mention all of our skincare is formulated, packed and stored here in new Zealand too; no international outsourcing here!
You can be sure that your order will arrive with no new plastic packaging. We recycle 99% of our packing materials, including the boxes and void fill where possible. Where it's not possible to reuse packaging, we source cardboard and paper that is FSC certified, and always use the smallest amount.
Here’s where we’re heading:
- Where we can, we're looking to phase out all plastic and replace it with biodegradable alternatives. This is a costly and time-consuming process, but one that we believe is worth it in the longrum. You may see some different packaging pop-up until we can get everything uniform but we will always keep you up to date on our socials.
- We're working on lowering our Carbon Footprint. While we already implement many sustainability practices we are proud of, one of the largest challenges is simply measuring our current impact. We cannot say that we are carbon neutral until we have a deep understanding of what our current impact is, which involves so many variables!